Most users are constantly asking about the solution to backup cloud data or export Office 365 mailbox to PST file format. In today’s post, we will learn about some ways to export the Office 365 mailbox to PST. However, Microsoft does not allow any direct way to back up or export mailbox to PST Office 365. Microsoft provides free and manual methods to export Office 365 mailbox to PST. Thus, the automatic solution is also available to perform Export Office 365 to PST for everyone without Outlook or PowerShell requirements.
Purpose Behind Exporting Office 365 Mailboxes to PST Files
Users can have various purposes for exporting Office 365 mailboxes to PST files. Some of them are defined below:
- Users can easily save the office 365 archive mailbox to a local drive.
- Save Office 365 mailboxes to a personal folder that enables easy access to data in case of poor Internet supply or slow connectivity.
- Manage the size of Office 365 mailboxes by exporting them to the PST file format.
Now, I am explaining Office 365 native method using eDiscovery utility to export Office 365 mailbox to PST files as a workaround. The eDiscovery utility is supported within any Exchange Online plans but may work for selected Office 365 plans.
Method 1: Export mailbox to PST Office 365 using the eDiscovery process
It is a workaround process related to installing eDiscovery in-place, log in to your Office 365 account and follow the steps below:
- Once logging into your Office 365 portal, go to the Microsoft 365 admin center >> Security.
- Then select Permissions >> eDiscovery Manager.
- Now, add your account as an eDiscovery administrator using the Edit button and simple (delete and copy).
- After becoming a member of the eDiscovery Manager role group. Then, go to Search >> Content Search.
- Go to the Search window. And, click New Search.
- Now, select Exchange email or select specific mailboxes using the Select users, groups option.
- Now, select Exchange email or user, choose a specific mailbox from the group option. Also, you can allow export from SharePoint and public folders here by checking on the Exchange Public Folders option.
Along with Location Filter, the Search page provides you various filtering options: (Keywords/phrases, Time ranges, From/To/CC/BCC fields, Message types.
- In the next window, you need to provide the search name and description. Then, Click on the Save button.
After clicking on the save button, the wizard with the search background window will open. Just go back to the Content Search page, refresh the page, and go to search.
- In the next window, you get that the search result-related details. Click on the Export results tab.
- If you require to include encrypted files, skip checking on the Enable deduplication.
- Now, click on the Export button in the current window.
- A new wizard will start with Data Export. Then, Go to the Export tab and go to Search again to view processing.
- Wait for the process to finish or click on Download result directly.
Don’t forget to copy it, as it will be necessary for the next ClickOnce application.
ClickOnce application: The ClickOnce application will launch the requested eDiscovery PST Export Tool.
- Once opening eDiscovery PST Export Tool then Paste the copied key and set the folder where you want to store the PST files.
- The eDiscovery tool will process the export. Close the application when done.
eDiscovery (content search) can be a good technique in some cases to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST. Still, you should be aware of some potential problems with this method.
Problems using eDiscovery tool to export mailbox to PST office 365
- Items missing errors,
- High probability of PST file got corrupted,
- The export process takes a very long time.
- Very problematical process and requires prior experience.
- This method cannot reliable for exporting selective data altogether like, emails, calendars, and contacts.
Since we recognized that users face many problems during free and manual Export Office 365 mailbox to PST files. Therefore, it is better to use fast and reliable software to office 365 export mailbox to PST.
Method 2: Professional Software – Shoviv Exchange Recovery Manager
Shoviv Exchange Recovery Tool is an innovative solution that provides users with multiple advanced and user-oriented features. Besides, it lets users export the Office 365 mailbox to PST with a few simple steps. It restores data not only in PST but also in other file formats. The tool comes with an advanced incremental export feature to export Office 365 mailbox to PST effectively. This software also enables the restoration of PST file data to Office 365.
Distinctive spread features of this software:
- Export multiple mailboxes
This tool from Shoviv allows users to add and export single/multiple 365 Office mailboxes of any size to PST format without taking much time.
- Split PST Functionality
The software also includes a split option for the resulting PST. Additionally, it allows users to set the size of large PST files accordingly to multiple smaller PST files.
- The Preview capability
The software provides a preview of mailbox items to validate the data for export.
- Search Item and Filter Option
A search item option based on subject, to, cc, bcc, from, item type, attachment name, read/unread message, etc. Then, you can include/exclude messages based on the date range and message class.
- Incremental Export Feature:
When the process gets interrupted, this feature enables the process to resume and prevents already processed items from entering the process.
In the above post, the user rifle for a response to Export Office 365 mailbox to PST. Laterally these lines, a safeguarded solution with no difficulties is declared in the above article. Shoviv’s software is a picture-perfect composite of the latest knowledge and user-friendly features. You can use the trial emulator version to measure this tool before investing. Also, the trail emulator version allows you to process the first 50 items per folder with all the features.
Checkout This blogpost also:- Office 365 Backup