In this technical guide, we will discuss the migration of one version of Exchange into another. We will post a detailed review of how the user can look to migrate Exchange 2013 to 2019 without losing their data. Kindly read this complete technical blog to gain comprehensive knowledge about the Exchange migration.
Managing the organization’s digital information is never an easy task. However, after the Microsoft Exchange launch, everything goes smoothly for the business that opts for it. Due to being server-based, it helps to manage email communication quite easily. But, over the decade, the Exchange has changed a lot due to the changes in the needs of the users.
The exchange comes with their update regularly to meet their user demand. If you are using Exchange 2013 and want to migrate into Exchange 2019, this blog is for you, which will take care of the pre-requisite of migration. We will explain the manual solution to migrate Exchange 2013 to 2019 along with the most advanced method. However, before you look at the migration strategies, check out the common reasons behind the migration.
Reasons for migration from Exchange 2013 into 2019: Updated
One of the primary reasons users look to migrate into Exchange 2019 is the new advanced features. Multiple new features are added in the new Exchange version, which urges users to migrate Exchange 2013 to 2019; we have listed some of its remarkable functionalities.
What’s new in Exchange 2019 version?
- Indexing the larger file in the new Exchange version is easier, and the search performance has drastically improved.
- The Exchange 2019 comes with an on-premise server and also offers a cloud-based SaaS application.
- Its performance improved greatly in speed, better hardware utilization, and much more.
- Users can install this Exchange version on the Windows Server 2016 & 2019 core.
- Its storage space has been increased up to 256 GB.
- Exchange 2019 calendar has come with multiple advanced like it is easier to propose a new timing in the meeting calendar. Its looks have also improved from the previous versions.
These are some more improvements you will see in the new Exchange version. Therefore, it is good to migrate Exchange 2013 to 2019 to take advantage of the listed functionalities. Now, we will concentrate on a solution to perform the huge migration task. Before we start explaining to you about the manual migration procedure, we would like to add something here. Non-technical should avoid these methods due to deep core technical knowledge requirements.
Manual Solution to migrate Exchange 2013 data into 2019
Pre-requisite for Migration:
Microsoft Exchange 2019 version does not have unified messaging. It means that if the users use Skype for business service, then they can’t save messages into the new mailboxes. In addition, we have prepared a list of requirements to follow before starting the migration from Exchange 2013 into Exchange 2019.
- There is a need to upgrade the configuration settings to have the CU 21 (Cumulative Update 21).
- The Exchange 2019 version only supports Outlook 2013 and its later versions.
- Needs to check the Active directories Forest functioning level is set to minimum Windows Server 2012 R2.
- The location of Active directories where you would install the new Exchange version needs to have one writeable domain controller; if not, the installation will fail.
There is a more set of requirements that is important to fulfill before starting the migration. Users can look all of them from the Microsoft website. In the upcoming section, you will find the process to migrate Exchange 2013 to 2019 using the manual solution.
Note: A migration will fail even due to single mistake. Make sure you only perform if you have adequate migration knowledge or taking help from the IT expert.
Migrate Exchange 2013 data into Exchange 2019 using the Existing Outlook version
- Before initiating the migration, you should create a backup of the data.
- To start with, make sure to rename the address of Exchange 2013. Follow the given below procedure to make it happen:
- Kindly login to the IONOS with the credential and go to the email section.
- Here, select the contract which contains your Exchange account.
- After that need to edit the Exchange account, press the gear icon present below the action and then click on Settings. ( It is mandatory to change the name for the address Exchange mailboxes)
- At last, click the Ok button.
- The user needs to follow the same procedure for all Exchange 2013 mailboxes before moving into Exchange 2019.
- After following the above process, needs to create a new address for Exchange 2019.
- Also, remove the old Exchange 2013 account associated with Outlook. To know how to do it, follow the listed steps:
- Open the Outlook application on the system.
- Visit the File section and then move to the Account Setting option.
- After selecting all Exchange accounts, click on Remove, and then hit the Ok button to continue.
- Now, go to Outlook, and add the new Exchange account.
- Also, make sure to recover all your data from the backup file.
Once you follow all the above working procedures, you will migrate from Exchange 2013 to 2019. However, users need to be cautious while implementing the manual migration method, as a single mistake can leads the migration in big trouble. This method also demands deep technical knowledge of the Exchange environment and the migration technicalities. So the user needs to look for some other solution which helps them to move their Exchange 2013 data easily.
Therefore, we suggest users to look for the professional third-party utility which will help to perform the migration in fewer time frames.
Reliable & Shorter Way to move from Exchange 2013 to 2019 version
We have seen a different set of requirements & preparation in order to complete the migration successfully. But not all users will find it comfortable to use due to its lengthier in nature and consumes a large time. So it would be better if the user looks to migrate Exchange 2013 to 2019 using any of the third-party migration solutions. One such solution we will discuss in detail overcomes all such problems associated with the manual methods.
Shoviv Exchange Migration tool is a professional and alternative solution to migrate exchange mailboxes. This software offers better safety while migrating Exchange 2013 mailboxes data to the 2019 version. Check out a list of some advanced features offered by this software:
- The software allows migrating multiple Exchange 2013 EDB files irrespective of their sizes.
- After adding the Exchange mailboxes, the software does not make any changes in their folder hierarchy.
- Its incremental export option is one of its most advanced features. This option will make sure to resume any interrupted process.
- Users can selectively migrate the Exchange mailbox data, which is possible due to the software filter option.
- It is easier to search any particular item from the added mailboxes using the search criteria such as Message class, Subject, Cc, etc.
- Some of the other features like folder mapping and email translation also come with this software.
Along with the features which we have described above, there are more advanced functionalities offered by this software.
This write-up is for all users who wish to take advantage of the new Exchange version. Different reasons urge users to go with the later Exchange version like 2019. However, migrating to any Exchange version always comes with multiple challenges. However, there are strategies which need users can implement to migrate Exchange 2013 to 2019 quite easily. Manual migration is not one of them; users can use some of the alternative solutions that we have explained in this article.
Users can also use the demo version of the described third-party software to have a better understanding of it. In addition, the final decision would be of users to select their desire migration approach.