All the mailbox data in a user’s Outlook account is saved in a PST file. The ‘data’ here is attributed to the information in emails, calendars, contacts, etc. PST is the portable storage table generated as a .pst extension. In this article, we will discuss the need and ways to merge PST files easily.
What are the differences between OST and PST files?
1- OST files is only compatible with the Exchange server, on the other hand, PST files work efficiently with various services.
2- OST files are generated automatically as a folder in users’ devices by Microsoft Outlook or Exchange server, while PST files are created by users to store details from emails, contacts, calendars, journals, notes, etc from their mailbox.
3- Working with OST files is much easier as users can make changes in .ost files without being connected to the network. PST files require a connection to modify data in it.
Reasons to merge PST files
Some of the most prominent reasons to merge PST files include:-
- It is harder to share multiple files with someone in one go. Merging PST files can make it simpler to transfer a single file.
- Managing and handling PST files become much less complicated after merging.
- Users with more than one account in MS Outlook would like to merge all the accounts.
- Users do not appreciate having to open multiple files over and over again. After merging the PST file’s data the users will have to open only a single file to access their data.
- Generally, users like to backup their important data. This could be another reason to merge PST files to avoid accidental deletion of the information.
The chances of users merging PST files are growing higher with each new version of MS Outlook. In the previous version of MS Outlook, the PST file storage limit was 20 GB. However, it has been modified to 50 GB in the newer versions such as in Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and Office 365.
What are the methods to join/merge PST files?
I- The manual method- Includes two main steps.
a. Generate a fresh PST file.
b. Import all the other PST files’ data in the new file.
II- PST Merge Tool- A professional software to merge PST files automatically.
A step-by-step guide to merge PST files manually:-
Step 1:- Create PST file
- Launce MS Outlook and select ‘New items‘.
- Click on ‘More items‘.
- Choose ‘Outlook data file’ and mention the location you would like to store the file.
- Give your PST file a name and click on ‘Ok‘.
Step 2:- Now import the PST files.
- Start MS Outlook and then click on File tab >> Open >> Import.
- In Import and Export Wizard dropdown, select the Import from another program or file title.
- Click on Next and pick the file type to import.
- Select Outlook Data File(.pst) >> Next >> Browse >> file to import.
- Mark the Do not import Duplicates option >> Next >> Choose the folder to import from.
- Check the Include subfolders and Import items into the same folder, then Finish.
Pros and cons of the manual method:-
2- Efficient for a small number of PST files.
3- No need to spend time looking for the perfect software.
1- Ineffective for a massive count of files.
2- Time-consuming and tedious process.
The Third-party software might cost you a bit but does the job quickly and efficiently. It fights all the limitations of the manual method to merge PST files users encounter.
Professional Software(PST Merge) to merge PST files
A bunch of MS Outlook users fancies a proficient software application to merge PST files when they don’t wish to settle on the manual method considering its long procedure. This kind of expert softwares are an ideal arrangement that merges PST files into a separate PST file in a short duration of time.
There is an adequate number of these softwares present in the market. They ensure to cater to the merging needs of PST files efficiently. However, not all of the available options in the extensive collection are up to the mark. Some of these software tools have marked their presence. Hence, I would advise you to choose wisely.
A few of the advantages that most of the PST Merging tools in the market have in common are:-
- Merges multiple PST files at a time.
- Compared to the manual method, takes no time to merge PST files.
- Able to merge PST files regardless of their size.
- Compatible with almost all the Windows OS and MS Outlook variants.
- Let’s users examine the software by providing a costless trial run.
Note:- This trial run merges only about the first 50 items. This number depends upon the service provider, some let you merge 50 items some only 10 items.
How much do these tools cost?
Generally, the cost of this sort of tool can range from $20 to $150 depending on the licensing you’re trying to buy. Usually, there are personal, standard, and technical licenses. Personal license cost the least, while technical the most among the three. Personal license is suited for individual or home users, standard license for organizations, and technical for companies set up in various locations.
If you have any queries regarding the subject, feel free to comment.
Hope this article helped! Cheers!
Also read:- Download Office 365 Emails to Outlook