Many users may want to export all files from OneDrive to PC, move them to another email service or keep them safe from external threats. Either way, you need to perform a successful migration in bulk without any casualties.
It is a known fact that OneDrive offers 5GB of free storage space to save files and documents. You can extend OneDrive’s space limit by paying a certain amount or purchasing a specific plan. But for those who do not want to spend on buying extra space can bulk move files from OneDrive.
The question arises: How to export these files in bulk without any data loss?
It is, in fact, not as difficult a task as it may seem if performed using the perfect technique and a reliable solution. You may find several methods and workarounds to perform this task, but this blog consists of only the best of them.
Microsoft itself offers an option to save the data in bulk which we will be discussing here. Let’s take a look at the first method.
Suitable Technique to Export All Files from OneDrive to PC
As users need to take a backup of their data for safety reasons, it is also necessary to use the right solution. Here, you will find the only method capable of exporting the files in Outlook data file and saving them on any desired location on the local device.
For this, you can download the OneDrive Backup Tool that is capable of downloading all the data from your OneDrive account. And, save it locally as an Outlook supported file, i.e., PST.
There are various features you can use to bulk download files from OneDrive utilizing this tool as mentioned below:
- Save files in bulk locally only in one shot
- Date-filter option to export selective files
- Option to export data in batch mode via Concurrent Backup
- Download files without changing the folder hierarchy after backup
- Real-time status of the export report displayed on the screen
- Export newly arrived files only using the Delta Backup option
- Compatible with Windows OS 10 (64-bit) and Windows Servers 2012 & 2016
As seen above the features of this tool, let’s how it works.
What Are the Steps to Perform Backup Operation Using the Wizard?
You can export all files from OneDrive to PC by following the given steps:
- After downloading the tool, choose the Backup option and set the Source and Destination in the Setup tab.
- Mark the required category, i.e., Documents, in the Workload Selection fields and apply the Date-Filters for selective data exportation.
- Here, enter the Admin Email & Application ID in the Source – Office 365 window. Hit Validate and click on the Next button.
- Choose the Backup Folder path and Size of the file in the Destination – Outlook window. Click on the Validate button and press Next.
- Now, to bulk download files from OneDrive, choose the option to add user IDs. We choose the Fetch Users option here.
- Finally, Validate the user IDs and tap on the Start Backup button to complete the process.
You can find all the files in a PST format on the chosen path and selected file size. Other than that, in case you want to rerun the entire backup task, you can select the Rerun Backup option.
Also, if you want to take a backup of the files you receive after the first procedure. You can download only the new files by using the Delta Backup feature.
Manual Method to Export All Files from OneDrive to Computer
As discussed before, Microsoft can save all the files locally from the web-based OneDrive service. We will explain the steps to download all or selective files. Besides, a few things to be kept in mind before performing this task.
Let’s first take a look at the steps:
- Go to the OneDrive server on Office 365 or Microsoft 365 website. Choose the files or folders you want to export.
- You can select each item if you want to save individual or multiples files if you want to bulk download files from OneDrive. Or mark the first file you want to export, scroll to the end file, press Shift, and click on it simultaneously.
- You also have the option to select all the files in a folder by pressing Ctrl + A.
- It is also possible to choose an entire folder by going back to a level.
- After selecting the files you require and however you need, click on the Download button to export all files from OneDrive to PC.
A .zip file is downloaded, and the process to export all files from OneDrive completes here. Although, there are certain things you need to keep in mind that are brought to attention by Microsoft. Find them as followed:
A post on Microsoft’s support website states a few facts about what can or can’t be downloaded using the manual method.
If you are prompted with an option: Save or Save as, navigate to the desired destination location and select the path for the result.
Users can find various methods and reasons for which they may want to export all files from OneDrive, but the leading cause is backup. It is essential to keep a backup of your data of any kind for safekeeping from the threats such as data loss.
The techniques explained here are practical, but there are a few keynotes to keep in mind before performing the task manually. As for the software, there is only a need to install the Outlook application for Desktop, and you are good to go.